Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chromosome Test Results are in...

Received a call this morning from Dr Landers. A report came across her desk that she thought we'd like to know about. She already got the chromosome test back for Gabriel. As it turns out, he had an extra Y chromosome that caused his kidneys to never develope. There are different types of Potters Syndrome - Bilateral Renal Agenesis (no kidneys) is Classic Potters.

This means that it isn't a gene Derrick or I are carrying, it was just "Bad Luck" (the story of my life it seems - bad luck when I got suspended from high school, bad luck when I had my back surgery, bad luck when the teachers wouldn't give me all my homework and my grade point average dropped significantly, bad luck that we bought our house at a bad time, bad luck that we bought a "lemon" for a car... the list goes on). So, this result means that our risk of it happening again is much lower. Instead of being a 1 in 4 risk, we have about 4%...

The interesting thing about this abnormality is that there are kids out there living with this extra Y chromosome... Some are reported to grow faster, some have other developmental abnormalities, and some reports of Potter's Syndrome. So having this extra Y chromosome isn't always so serious or fatal, some people can live with it forever.

Dr Landers is sending us a copy of the report. I probably won't understand anything on it, but I do intend to try to see if I can find out more about this Y chromosome that Gabriel shouldn't have had. I know I can turn to the genetic councelor we met earlier if I still don't understand any of it. She was very smart about all the genetic and chromosome stuff.

Derrick went back to work this week. Its been tough being home all day without him here. I'm hurting more now than when he was here all day for support and to keep me busy. Yesterday was especially hard, I was busy babysitting my neice and nephew most of the afternoon, but couldn't keep my mind off Gabriel and his sweet face. But I got through another day and woke up this morning to some good news. Maybe that means today will be a better day...

No comments:

Post a Comment