So, Derrick and I have been talking about what gender we hope the baby is... obviously we are really just hoping the baby is happy and healthy, but there's always that secret hope for one gender or the other... He is hoping for a boy. We have our little girl and having a little boy would give us one of each. Plus he wants his "Lil D" (his nickname is D). I am thinking more logically however. I would love a little boy to give us one of each gender. It'd be awesome to experience a little boy growing up, but we already have all girl stuff. We wouldn't need to buy anything except a carseat, stroller and crib if its a girl... Either way it'll be exciting.
So I decided to do a few early old wives tales for fun, just to see what happens. Afterall... they are 50% accurate so why not right? I don't put too much faith in these old wives tales though; they really won’t be that accurate and like I said, they are mostly for fun! Then before we find out the gender, I'll do them again and see how it compares!
1) CHINESE GENDER CHART: The chinese gender chart takes the mothers age at conception (24) and the month of conception (April), puts it into some sort of mathematical/scientific equation. According to this chart we are expecting... A BOY!
(For our daughter I put in 23 years old, September as conception month, and it says "GIRL")
2) MAYAN TALE: If you are Mayan then you may follow their beliefs and use numbers to determine the sex of your baby. The Mayans take the mothers age at conception and the year of conception and add them together. If the result is a even number then mom is having a girl. If the result is an odd number then a boy is on the way! In my case, 24 years old +2011= 2025... A BOY!
(For Evelyn it would have been 23yrs old + 2009= 2032 A girl!)
3) CRAVINGS: This one sounds good and can be an “explanation” for many of moms’ cravings, but is it true? Some people say that if you crave salty food while pregnant it means you are having a boy and if you crave sweet food while you are pregnant it means you are having a girl. Does this mean that baby girls are sweet and baby boys are salty? In my case.... Salty cravings (so far)= BOY!
(With Evelyn I also craved salty and it was obviously a girl... Maybe since I'm craving salty again it'll be a girl again?)
4) PREVIOUS KIDS: This one cracks me up, onlly because its so random. If your first born's first word was "momma" then you'll have a girl. If your first born's first word was "dada" then you'll have a boy... "momma" = GIRL!
5) HISTORY OF PARENTS KIDS: You can find out the sex by going off of your parent’s kids and the order. If you are the first born, you will have what your mother had but starting with her second child. If you are the middle child, you will have what she said, but starting with the third child. If you are the last child, you will have what your mother had in the exact order In Derrick's family he's the youngest so for him we'd be having a BOY. In my family I'm the middle child so we'd be having a GIRL.
6) LEG HAIR GROWTH: If the hair on your legs has been growing at record speeds, you might be having a boy. I just waxed my legs a week ago and its already growing back! BOY!
7) HEADACHES: If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy. I’ve definitely had an increase in headaches, so I wonder… BOY
(But I had headaches with Evelyn too, she was definitely a girl!)
8) WHAT DO YOU THINK? 71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having. Most days I swear its a boy. (Then again, I swore Evelyn was a boy too!). So according to this one... its a BOY
9) BREAST SIZE: If a pregnant woman’s left breast is larger than the right breast, she’s having a girl. If the right breast is larger, it’s a boy. My left side is definitely bigger (but this is ALL the time lol) So this says GIRL!
10)CLUMSY VS GRACEFUL: If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she’s having a girl. If she becomes clumsy, she’s having a boy. I've been way more clumsy, tripping over things, dropping things... BOY!
So, these are 10 Old wives tales that I can do right now. I'm only 9 weeks so I'm not showing yet and can't do any of those ones... But, 7 out of 10 of the ones I can do say boy... But it was the same way with Evelyn, most of them said she was a boy... Guess we'll see! I'll do this again (maybe twice) to see how things have changed, and add in the ones I can do as time goes on... It'll be interesting to see what we end up with!