Thursday, June 9, 2011

Baby #2's first official appointment! + some news :)

Went to see Dr. Landers today for our 10 week pregnancy check up. At our confirmation appointment on May 12th I was 137lbs, already up 3lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight of 134lbs. We didn't know how far along I could be so we had an ultrasound done, which confirmed we were 6 weeks 1 day pregnant. We did see the heartbeat, which was 102bpm. It was a little slow, but the tech said it was probably because it had just started. Seeing the heartbeat put our risk of miscarraige down to about 5%. That goes down to 3% at around 12-13 weeks. 


So today I am 10 weeks 1 day.  Here's a little about what baby is doing: our baby is approximately the size of a prune or a brazil nut (about 1.2in and about .14oz). The bones and cartilidge are starting to take form and babies arms and joints are now working. Baby has distinguished fingers and toes, ears are beginning to take shape and the eyelids are no longer see-through. Baby is starting to grow toothbuds and Baby's kidney's are already starting to produce small amounts of urine! If baby is a boy, he's starting to produce testosterone too. This is approximately what baby looks like right now:
The Appointment:
Well, I'm back down to my pre-pregnancy weight of 133lbs. I'm guessing probably because of the eatting issue I had there for a few weeks. But the Dr wasn't worried so that was comforting. We heard the heartbeat which was 160bpm.  I'm thinking it was so high because I had a bag of M&Ms at noon, my poor little prune was on a sugar high  :) !   The vampires took 4 big viles of blood from me before I left - I was getting concerned that they may not leave me any... but I remember them taking a lot when I was pregnant with Evelyn too.  Dr Landers doesn't want to see me for 4 more weeks... that's gonna feel like a really long wait though!

NOW FOR THE NEWS: This might disappoint some of you...
So Derrick and I have been talking a lot about finding out the gender of this baby. At first I had decided that I didn't want to tell anybody our name choices, I was willing to tell people the gender, but wanted some element of secret from everyone, so we were going to keep the names to ourselves. Then as we were talking we were thinking that we would find out what the gender is and not tell anybody else. This way only we would know and it would be a surprise for everyone.  This conversation led to us deciding that we're not going to find out the gender at all!  I don't know if I'll last, but I'm certainly going to try. I'm very anxious to know what it is, but it'll be fun finding out on delivery day!  No secrets for us, just that we won't know! So as of right now, we have decided that we aren't going to find out the gender at all :)  Enjoy guessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment